Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Karina and Alma Unleash a Quiche!

My friend Alma and I hadn't had the occasion to cook together for far too long, so we decided to make a decadent brunch. She had the idea to go wild with a quiche, using both sweet and savory ingredients such as apples, eggplant, mint and shallots. I gladly jumped on board and suggested that we take our "breakfast pie" one pie-notch further by making it with a graham cracker crust.


I chopped up a pack of whole-wheat organic graham crackers with some melted Earth Balance in the food processor. I added salt, curry and cinnamon to twist in some flavor.


I coated my baking dish with olive oil and packed in an even, tight layer of graham mix and put it in the oven at 400* for 10 minutes.


We prepared the apples, shallots and mint by chopping them and setting them aside.


Alma began chopping cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, green onions and more mint for an Israeli- style salad to serve on the side.



In a small bowl I mixed 1/2 cup of flour with a teaspoon of salt and teaspoon of baking powder. I added it to the 7 eggs I had cracked in a larger bowl.


I mixed this well with a fork until as smooth and blended as possible.


Alma had been busy sauteing our onion, sweet potato (that we had already boiled to soften), eggplant, zucchini, apple, basil, and mint in light olive oil. She spiced with salt, paprika, cayenne, cumin and lemon.


We spread out our cooked veggie lot evenly over the graham crust and then topped it with the egg batter.


I sprinkled a nice coat of cayenne over the top to give it some nice color.


Alma finished off the salad by adding fresh avocados, olive oil, salt and lemon.


We put the quiche in the already hot oven, turned it down to 350* and cooked it for about 35-40 minutes until it was set up completely and brown around the edges.


We used our leftover sweet potato-veg mix as a side and served up this mouth-watering quiche with a generous serving of salad.


We were both blown away with how well the graham cracker crust worked and couldn't stop eating this quiche all day long!

1 comment: